So I must look at completing the course, collecting the medals and T-shirts (four of each, it seems) and impressing the gullible with my tales of being 'only 24 hours behind the winner.' I need to work on:
- being thinner. At 2 sec/lb lost/mile faster, there's plenty of free speed to be had by stepping away from the pies
- keeping my heart rate down, so that I burn fat rather than glycogen for fuel
- walking. I doubt I'll run every step of the way, so I should train my walking muscles; also low HR walking sessions should improve my fat-burning capability.
- mileage; I'll need to do a lot of it for endurance
- strength. Abs and buns of steel will help support my core
- three runs of about an hour with an average heartrate of no more than 150 (which is 75% of my maximum) but lower if possible
- a long run of about 14 miles/3 hours max. with a rucksack and water bladder, again at 150 or lower if possible. This was carefully chosen as the doc's is 7 miles away and I needed to pick up a prescription
- one two hour walk, wearing a heartrate monitor so that it counts as training; the idea is to walk as fast as possible, with a rucksack on, to push average HR as high as possible
- a walk with the children on a Sunday; not training as such, but a valuable way of adding a few more miles
I'm currently on week 3 of the plan and all is going well; 14 miles killed me and I had to walk on day 1 week1, I was a few minutes quicker in week 2 then ran all the way at a lower HR in week 3. Admittedly this was 10:43 min miling at an average HR of 147, which won't set the world aflame, but it's improvement. Hadd reckons that improvement comes in 6 week cycles, so I'll devote 21 weeks to the current plan (19 to go), before introducing some higher heartrate stuff for the final 12 weeks/two cycles then a two week taper. What can possibly go wrong?
I started back to exercise after my PE at a pound shy of 14st. I lost the first half stone while I was exercising rather than training, so cycle 1 day 1 saw me at 13st 7; last week's Wednesday weigh-in was 13st 2.5. I'm not trying anything more fancy than portion control and picking some healthier options; we'll see, shall we?
Finally, roadworks have lead to the closure of a local dead-end road; they've erected a sign which reads 'Access to frontages only.' Surely, that was the case even before the roadworks..?